Guide to Laying Carpet Stones and Setts for your Patio
Carpet stones and setts – the rustic and simple alternative to paving slabs for your patio. This beautiful stonework can bring traditional sophistication to your outdoor space without hassle or great expense.
- For the best performance and durability, all paving should be laid on a firm, level and well drained base. If done properly, your patio will last for years to come.
- Remove all vegetation and top soil to an approximate depth of 200mm across the paving area.
- Mark out this area with pegs and adjust their height to the required finished surface levels. Be sure to allow the recommended fall away from any buildings and walls for water drainage.
- Check that the finished paving surface level is at least 150mm below the level of any damp proof course.
- After excavation, use a garden roller or tamper to rake level, compacting the area and ensuring an even depth.
Laying Carpet Stones – A how-to in 6 steps
- To begin, dig out the paving area to a depth of at least 200mm.
- Afterwards, back fill this area with 150mm of MoT/crusher run, compacted to 100mm.
- Next, backfill with a sharp sand and cement mix (6:1 ratio for patios and paths and 5:1 ratio for driveways) allowing enough room (when compacted) for the depth of the carpet stones.
- Lay the carpet stones onto the bed, ensuring the joints are evenly spaced.
- Use a rubber mallet to ensure the stones are well bedded in.
- After 24 hours, brush in a dry mix of 4 parts sharp sand to 1 part cement (3:1 ratio for driveways) into the joints. We recommend that the mix is as dry as possible to ensure the surface of the product is not stained.
Laying Natural Stone Setts – A how-to in 6 steps
- Begin by digging out the paving area to a depth of at least 200mm.
- Back fill this area with 150mm of MoT/crusher run, compacted to 100mm.
- Once the area is prepared, you can begin laying each sett.
- The actual mortar bed is prepared individually for each and every sett dependent on its thickness. The bed will consist of a moist mortar mix, using 4 parts sharp sand to 1 part cement. Allow a joint width of 15-20mm for setts.
- Bed down the setts with a rubber mallet.
- Fill the joints with a moist mortar mix (4:1 ratio) or use a specifically designed jointing compound.
For gardens with an unusual shape or awkward corners, carpet stones and setts are the key to laying intricate designs that are attractive, resilient, and simple.
We want your landscaping project to be perfect. For advice, assistance, or inspiration, Simply Paving is here to support you at every stage. Give us a call on 0800 032 6306. We would love to hear from you.